Saturday, August 18, 2012

My First Few Days in Poland

Alright, so now onto the more exciting stuff, well more exciting for you, I'd still rather be eating. My first time in Europe was when I got off the plane in Munich, Germany. I spent a little bit wandering around the airport trying to navigate everything that was written in German. But eventually I found my terminal and waited for my flight. I also explored some of the gift shops while waiting, and they were all about 50% German alcohol, 25% German chocolate, and 25% other German stuff. Then I got on my plane where instead of telling you to fasten your seat belts in English they first said it in German, then Polish, then English. The next thing I noticed was that instead of giving you honey roasted peanuts in the airplane, they gave me a small loaf of bread with some kind of cheese in the middle. I prefer the bread. Then I landed, and in the small airport in Krakow, or Krakoov as I now say, rather than having those little bridges from the terminal to the plane they hooked up a set of stairs to my plane and put us on a little bus to get us to the airport. Then I met my host family.

The next thing I noticed about Poland is the driving, they drive on the right side of the road like us.....sometimes. There are really only lines and things like that on highways and freeways. On normal roads you just have asphalt and crazy Polish drivers. My host dad drove us home in the middle of the road, only moving a few feet to the side when another car came. Plus the roads in Poland are about 3/4ths as wide as they are in the US. Getting into a car here is one of the scariest things you can do. But I found my house, which is exactly what I had seen when I searched my address on google maps and got shown a picture. It is 3 stories tall and the roof is really slanted. And in the middle of it a brick wall runs over the roof splitting the house in two, which is kind of odd, but realizing that your house is only on one side of the brick wall and the other side is actually an entirely different house is pretty easy to get used to. For the next four days I mostly laid around my host family's house, finished two books, watched Iron Man, Iron Man II, Captain America, Thor, and the Avengers with my host sister that speaks perfect English.

On Friday my host family took me to see downtown Krakow, where just about everything is older than the US. I had a great time there, found out that Polish ice cream is good, and that instead of hot dog stands on the streets they had pretzel stands, which have very good pretzels. I got to see the castle, heard the story about the dragon in Krakow, saw the statue about the story which actually breaths fire. I got to see my school, which looks like a college compared to Parker High. And too many other things to name but I'll post some of my favorite pictures here so you can see what I'm talking about.


My School

The Dragon Statue

1 comment:

  1. Dallas

    This is your step-sister Lisa, your mom sent me the link to your blog. Sounds like you are having fun exciting times. My new husband is Polish as you can tell by my new last name so I can't wait to here more about living there.

    ReplyDelete