Saturday, August 18, 2012

FOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well I finally got to Poland. I've been here for just over a week but it already feels like I've spent a year here. I'll do another post after this about some of the stuff I've done so far, but I realized after getting here that the first post on my blog must be entirely devoted to Polish food.

First I should explain Polish meals. We don't have breakfast, lunch, and a big dinner here. We have breakfast in the morning, second breakfast at about 11, dinner at about 3 which is the largest meal of the day but I usually just think of dinner as lunch because of when we have it, and finally we have a small meal at about 8 called supper. I don't really know the polish names for all the meals, and I doubt you would know what they meant if I named them. For now most things I talk about will be English translations. Now on to how the food tastes.

THE FOOD HERE IS SO F***ING GOOD! I'm a little scared to go back to America because the food here is so much more fresh. All the bread is cooked that morning, all the meat is slaughtered that day, and Polish food in general is delicious. So far the best thing I've had here was what my host mom cooked for me the first afternoon I was here. It was chicken rolled up like a tortilla with cream cheese filling, so something like cream cheese. It was so hot when they served it that I had a burn mark on the room of my mouth, but after that it was so good. Since getting here though I have only not liked two things, one was part of a dessert I got from my host parents, it was this sugary cake that was really really good, it tasted like honey, chocolate, and sugar. But served with it was almost like cinnamon whipped cream, which I ate all of, but it wasn't very good. The second kind was this rectangle of white goop that I couldn't even swallow, luckily it wasn't around my host parents, I got this at the language camp I am at currently. Other than those though, even things I didn't like in the US are delicious here. And I still can't get over just how fresh everything is here. Rather than going to a supermarket once a week or so like in America, Polish families go every morning to a small store right down the street and get their food for the day, which is all butchered, baked, or whatever else they need done to it fresh that day.

Just above this I'll post about all of the things I've been doing since I got here, but for now I'm done ranting on the deliciousness of Polish food.

No comments:

Post a Comment