Saturday, October 6, 2012

Warsaw Meeting

Well in my quest to catch up to where I am now, I'm going to tell everyone about my fairly recent trip to Warsaw. This was during the week of the 17th to the 23rd. Monday through Friday I'm just gonna skip over, as they were fairly uneventful rather than learning a bit of Polish, and getting invited to go hiking in the mountains with my classmates, which I was forced to turn down because it was at the same time as going to Warsaw, though I wish I could have done both. Still, on Friday I skipped school and got on a train to Warsaw.

Anyway, for the third time I've taken a train now, though this was definitely the worst. Since we didn't get on the train fast enough (meaning we weren't in front of a door when the train stopped) we were forced to find a place to sit other than an actual seat. But by the time we found this out even the cart that only had people sitting on the floor along the walls was full so we were forced to sit in a big bunch in front of the door. Lucky me, I got to sit with my back against the door, getting pushed to the side whenever it opened and curling into a ball every time someone wanted to walk in or out the door, so about every ten minutes. Coupling that with the fact that I sat on a metal floor for three hours straight made this a miserable train ride. But still, when we got there I got to see a lot of my friends from Polish Language Camp, so we spent several hours greeting eachother. When everyone was finally there we went to our hostel, not hotel but a hostel. The difference between the two is you rent a room in a hotel, in a hostel you rent a bed and if someone you don't know rents a bed in the same room. We were lucky because Rotary rented all the beds in each of the rooms for us, but it was still from 8 to 12 people in a room. The rooms were really nice though, all had some kind of theme. I ended up in the horror themed room though I didn't sleep under the painting of the devil or under the painting of the girl from The Ring, so I was good. I decided to name the room New Mexico though because of the ten people in the room only three weren't Mexican. After this we basically just partied in the hostel for half the night, enjoying eachothers company and basically acting like teenagers. Needless to say we were stupid and went to sleep late, something we regretted when we had to get up early in the morning.

The next day was the day when we got everything done. So it was a pretty packed day. First we got on a bus and got a tour of Warsaw, driving past a lot of well known places and hearing about the city's history, even if the history was only a few decades ago, something rare for Poland. Most of it was about the Warsaw Uprising, when the Nazis held the city and the city of Warsaw fought back. This ended with Hitler leveling the city, only 13 buildings were left standing. The reason Warsaw isn't a very historic place is actually because all of the history there was destroyed and the city had to be built new. (On another note, Krakow and Warsaw are like Parker and Wickenburg. Those from Krakow think Warsaw is horrible because it has no history and is all modern and efficient so they think it is ugly. On the other hand people from Warsaw view Krakow as old and run down without having much to do in the city. I personally like both cities, they each have their own unique qualities but I've decided not to mention this to my classmates. That'd be like going to Parker High in a Wickenburg school shirt during Spirit Week.)

We spent several hours at the Warsaw Uprising museum, which I thought had a similar feel to the Holocaust Museum in Washington D.C. It seems Hitler's atrocities inspired a few very nice museums. After this we went on another bus tour of Warsaw and stopped briefly at several monuments. We saw the Polish version of the White House, and then we went back to the hostel for a few minutes to get our Rotary blazers and head to the orientation.

We started it by making every student introduce ourselves in Polish. A lot of the kids did a very good job, though introductions were something all of us knew well, and though it makes up the largest amount of my comprehensible Polish I have yet had need to introduce myself. When I meet people others are always quick to explain who and what I am for me. When I got passed the microphone though I choked and made a couple mistakes. After feeling like an idiot I sat bad down. After that we got a speech on the rules of being an exchange student, most of which were half common sense and half things that rarely happen. Finally we got to the thing that excited most of us, information about the EuroTour. This is the trip we take toward the end of our exchange that takes us around the whole continent of Europe. We were all a little disappointed as well as excited after the presentation. While it looked like something that would be a shame to miss, a month going through and seeing several of the most well known countries in Europe, we were all sad at the fact that Italy was pretty much skipped over. I guess we complained a little too loudly because at the end of the meeting the asked if we'd like to use the program that they did last year which went to different countries, but saw most of Italy. This made us all happier, and I've seen the new program since and I really can't wait.

After this we finished the night by going to a part of Warsaw and getting some free time. I spent this shopping for pins for my blazer with some friends (I got some really nice ones.) and we even found a shop owner who spoke fluent Spanish. This didn't really interest me but one of our group was a Mexican and another was a Mexican-American so they were really excited, as was the shop owner. They ended up taking pictures together and getting his email. After this we went to get ice cream and got utterly lost. We finally found our group a half hour after we were supposed to meet and after that we went to the Dancing Fountain. This was a really cool water show that used lights and at some points they would use a mist to catch the light of a projector and by doing so they turned the water into a moving movie screen. I would put pictures of this, but a friend took a video of it and she agreed to send it to me so I'll put that on here as soon as I get it from her. After this we went back to the hostel and since I had caught a cold by standing out in the rain I went to bed early.

The next day was uneventful, we got up and then quickly left to catch our trains at the train station. I got to see a friend from Krakow who had gone to the Coldplay concert the night before I came to Warsaw, someone I hadn't seen since the Language Camp. Then we loaded onto the train, I got the task of kicking the Polish people out of the seats assigned to us since "my English was the best" (not true considering we brought an extra American back with us.) and I also guess because I seem to look intimidating. So after about 20 minutes of convincing the people in our seats that they were in the wrong seats using broken Polish and English we sat down and headed home.

When I got back home I packed up. Because of some misunderstandings I had learned at the beginning of the week that I would be changing host families. So I had two hours to pack all of my worldly possessions (mostly clothes) and I met my new host family. My host mom talked to them for about an hour and then I left to go to my new home.

Now time for the pictures. Once again I managed to forget my camera though, so I have to steal pictures from other exchange students that were there.

And sorry if you are reading this now, it is late at night here (I'm 9 hours ahead of y'all in Arizona if you didn't remember) and my new host family only has internet in their kitchen. Considering I have to go through the room of my two little brothers to get to mine I try not to stay up too late so they won't be asleep when I do decide to retire to my rooms. Anyway I'll put up pictures tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment