Saturday, September 1, 2012

First Full Week in Poland with My Host Family

Well it is time to stop being lazy and write more on my blog. Though for the most part the week I had after Polish camp was uneventful.

Since I had finished language camp and all of the other exchange students went home there was actually very little for me to do. Basically all I did that entire week was lay around the house, derp around on my laptop, and bug my host sister. But two days I did get to do some interesting things.

The one thing I did that was slightly productive was teach my host sister how to play Texas Hold 'Em. She isn't very good. After I taught her she grew to like the game so since we have played it pretty often, though she's only beat me twice. The first time was because I started out with 2 chips opposed to her 28 chips..... it took her about a half hour to win. The second time I'll write about in my next post because it happened the week after. Still I managed to have a lot of fun with my host sister by taking all her chips. Thank god we weren't playing for money or she would be broke by now.

Other than that, the actual exciting thing I did was to go to a botanical garden here in Krakow, or at least I think that is what this kind of garden is called. Anyway we walked around there for a while and I found the Polish equivalent of Dippin' Dots and got some. They were pretty good and they came in this plastic red baseball cap. When I finished the ice cream I actually wore the hat around, much to Kamila's dismay. The garden was beautiful and I think it was actually more than a hundred years old. After that my host sister stole my hat and we went back to the Krakow main square and watched some of the street performers, and I got a couple pins for my Rotary blazer.

The other interesting thing I did that week was I got to go to a Polish party. One of the previous exchange students was throwing himself a welcome back party and invited Kamila and me. It was really interesting. Polish parties apparently have a lot of dancing involved. Most of the girls there were sad though because there was a football (soccer) game between Krakow and Warsaw on that night so the guys wouldn't let them dance until after it was over. And since the Krakow team had lost, the other guys were so depressed apparently they derped outside. Which meant as the only guy still in the house I was forced to dance. And yes the hilarity ensued from there. But I had a lot of fun and according to my host sister I'll probably end up going to a lot of parties in Poland. So stay tuned.

Now for the best part of every one of my blog posts, the pictures!

The hat I got from my ice cream. (It took forever to get this picture.)

 Part of the Garden


A little piece of home in Poland.

 
Krakow Main Square at night
 

1 comment:

  1. I love your pictures and your blog. Thanks for posting both..Sounds like your are having a great time and learning much.

    ReplyDelete